The part of the underwear industry that gets eco-conscious people in a bunch is found in the harvest and production of conventional cotton, which is water- and chemical-intensive. It’s reputation is marked with being the world’s most pesticide-intensive crop.
HARD FACT: Lots of water is used to farm conventional cotton. Approximately 400 gallons of gool ol’ H20 are required to make a single cotton undershirt! That’s the pits!
Grab on to this:
• Only 2.4 % of farmland worldwide is dedicated to cotton
• Cotton accounts for:
- 24% of global insecticide sales
- 11% of global pesticide sales
Cotton crops worldwide are sprayed with $2 billion of chemicals, almost half of which are classified as hazardous by the World Health Organization!
So why are these chemicals so bad?
• can harm soil micro-organisms
• pollute ground and surface water
• adversely affect health of humans
• can harm beneficial insects
• adversely affect health of wildlife
So how is Woodiees different? Click here to learn about Woodiees’ love affair with Tencel: the benefits, the process, and quite frankly, the way it feels against your skin.